Sunday, June 7, 2009

My story...

Because this job happened so fast, I thought it would be nice to recap a bit the order of events that lead me here....

I first learned of the opening with the job as I was searching around the USA Volleyball website. I was curious who had the job because I knew that the old men's staff was now pretty much the new women's team staff. The technical coordinator job said, open. It was April at this point, I sent a text to Andy Read (Asst. Coach at Long Beach State) asking him if he had heard who was in the mix for the job. He text me back saying "your name's been thrown around a bit". That got me thinking, oh wow, maybe I won't be staying in AZ much longer. I had planned a trip to California, where I went to see a Long Beach State vs. Cal State-Northridge game. My plan was to talk with Alan Knipe(Head Coach of Long Beach and new Men's National Team coach), introduce myself, make myself visible, and then talk to him about the job. He invited me up to a postgame party the team and boosters put on, where we spoke at some length about the job. He mentioned that I was in the mix with 4 or 5 other guys and then asked if I wanted to keep my name in the hat....that was a no brainer, I said "of course, in fact, put it in there more than once"....The week came and went, I spoke with Alan a couple times but he was very vague...then there was Sunday night, Zoe, was in town, we had planned to see Dave Matthews Band in concert on Wednesday and Alan called....he asked me If I was willing to come out "like yesterday" to start working, I said, ummmm, maybe not tomorrow, but I can drive out tuesday morning, I guess. That was cool with him, so just like that, I had the job....and I guess they say, the rest is history from there......

No comments:

Post a Comment