Saturday, June 13, 2009

Day ONE of competition....

...and we got CRUSHED! Great, im 0-1 in my international debut. Not a good start. Netherlands played really really well, they sided-out at close to 80%, for all of you that don't speak volley geek, thats REALLY REALLY good! That would be like in basketball a team shooting 75% for the whole game, or a team in baseball hitting .600 as a team for the game. Tough to beat a team that is on like that. Granted, we played AWFUL, the guys were a few steps too slow the whole game and they definately put us on the defensive early. But, thats the beauty of this tournament is we get another shot at them again. Its sunday morning here, about 12:41 and I wanted to get this post in before I got some shut eye and have to wake up again at 7 and do the day all over again. It's really nice to be able to see the same team again and make adjustments but the flipside to that is us as coaches pull some late nights, like tonight.

A little bit about the crowd tonight, I snapped some photos, I think I'm going to post all those once I get a break and have some legit time to sit here and not have to work all the time...Anyways, here in the Netherlands, there are some of the nicest people you will ever find anywhere in the world...I honestly believe that. When the referee makes a bad call...in the states we "boo" and curse and scream...here, they whistle really loud, and not just one or two people whistle, EVERYONE whistles, its incredible and it shows you their character, they aren't looking to demean anyone but yet it gets their point across. Also, the crowd is super involved, they play music between every play, and the crowd dances and sings, the wave is constant, never stops. And most incredible thing of all, is the fact that they love all the songs that were really popular back in the 90's...I heard Chumbawumba 5 times today, some retro dance songs that I never ever thought someone would put a remix version to, and finally......somebody covering Queens "we are the champions" in dutch/english...i was like, this is not Freddy Mercury! ha.

Anyways, I'm exhausted and going to sleep! I stil haven't picked up on any Dutch, I will stick to the romance languages I guess.

BYE ALL!

No comments:

Post a Comment